7/11/08

Books from July 10th

Secret Invasion #4

I really thought this would be the issue where Bendis turned around this book, but boy was I wrong. Secret Invasion #4 was a complete and utter disappointment. What is the point of spending half the book giving us information we already know. Just because it is coming from "Spider-Woman" doesn't make it new or interesting. Wow, the heroes of the Marvel Universe can't trust each other. Someone should remind Bendis that everybody knew this before the event even started! What about last issue's big reveal, Nick Fury, what does he do in this issue? Barely anything. Don't have such a big reveal and then have the character stand put with a huge obnoxious gun that takes up almost half the page in the next issue. Also, I really didn't need more scenes of characters I don't care about fighting Skrulls in Manhattan. The scenes with Tony Stark and "Spider-Woman" in the Savage Land cover pretty much the same ground they did last issue, but the Tony Stark strand of this story is about the only thing I'm even remotely interested in at this point in the event. Perhaps Bendis has taken on too large of a work load because obviously he is capable of much better stories than this. I don't even think the trio featured on the cover for Issue #6 can save this event. What a disappointment.

The Invincible Iron Man #3

Fraction starts this issue off right where he left us last month which is a good thing because we have all been wondering about our dear Pepper. Not that the character was boring the first two issues, but man does Fraction make Ezekiel Stane down right sinister in this issue. Of course Fraction nails Iron Man too even though this issue doesn't feature as many scenes showcasing just how much Tony is juggling in his mind at one time. Personally I love these scenes, but I also think that they go a long way towards explaining the character. As I've said before this book has quickly become one of if not my favorite super hero book. Larroca's pencils and D'Armata's coloring are great in this issue, and while some of Larroca's faces still look a little off the problem isn't as bad as it was in the other two issues. You better be reading this book.

Action Comics #867

As a relative new comer to Superman this arc has been excellent for me thus far. I hope that anybody else who was considering jumping on to this book has done so. Johns is crafting not only an excellent story but an accessible story which is something one does not always fine in the DC Universe. Seeing Supergirl was a welcome surprise and again in this circumstance he gives new readers like me all they need to know about Kara without using tons of exposition on it. You know a scene is well written when you feel emotion for a character you were just introduced to it. My favorite scenes, which are always my favorite in any Superman story, are the ones with Clark and Pa Kent. I challenge any Superman hater to not enjoy those three pages let alone the whole book. Also, Steve is great in the worst way possible and I hope we continue to see more of him. The story takes a strong and almost sudden change of pace, but it works and I can't wait for the next issue.

No comments: