11/10/08

It's the economy, stupid

The economic trouble isn't hitting me too hard, but it will be if I decide to quit my job which is a distinct possibility considering how much it sucks. Naturally my unhappiness at work coincides with the worst economic repression in decades. So, for this and other reasons, mainly books not being that good, I trimmed my pull list down a bit. And the victims are...

DMZ - For a long time I pushed this book on tons of people so I actually feel bad about dropping it. The Delgado arc was a big disappointment for me not because it was awful, but just because it didn't push the book far enough for me. Wood had a lot of angles he could have explored in that story yet the route he took just did not interest me. 

Runaways - For one, I do not enjoy the artist on this book. Two, the story did not grab my attention at all. Again, Moore did not do a bad job, but he just was not doing a great one either. In reality my decision to drop this title has a lot to do with Josh Wheddon totally killing the momentum I had built up after reading the three BKV hardcovers.

Dark Tower - I plan on finishing up the Treachery arc, but after that I don't see myself buying this book any longer. It looks beautiful and the story is good, but for whatever reason I just find myself less interested in it. Since it is a big seller though I know it will get collected in a nice format, so that option is always there and I could see myself going that way with this book.

Astonishing X-Men - Can not get into the art, and Ellis' story is not doing anything for me. Seems like he doesn't care about writing the book so why should I bother reading it.

That makes my pull-list four books lighter, but sooner rather than later I will be adding Green Lantern once I finish catching up via hardcovers. I plan on giving Uncanny X-Men a few more months based on how much I enjoy Brubaker and Fraction and on the fact that I like to at least have some sense of what is going on in the X-Universe, but that could end up getting dropped eventually too. 

Take care of yourselves. Spread the word if you have a blog of your own. Thanks, bye.

No comments: