6/6/08

Comics that came out June 4th

Secret Invasion # 3

Eagerly awaited this one especially all the Skrull related promotion at Wizard World last weekend, and it starts off real well with an opening two pages focusing on Maria Hill and Jarvis. We also get to see "Yellowjacket" round up some folks from the Initiative which is cool, but the book could have used more scenes like this instead of so many pages of the Young Avengers and Initiative superheros getting the crapped kicked out of them. The interaction with "Spiderwomen" and Iron-Man is wonderful and shows a side of the Invasion which doesn't involve beating the hell out of second rate heroes. Also, the reveal at the end of this issue is a little over-sized. A mediocre issue, but hopefully it starts to pick up next month when some of the heavy hitters get involved.

Omega the Unknown #9

Don't really know what I can say about this issue. If you haven't been reading this mini-series up until this point you will be completely lost. More than anything I've read recently this series has been full of crazyness, and that is exactly why I love it. If you want to get in on it you might as well wait for the trade at this point, this is something that will read much better in a collection because it can be somewhat hard to follow. A great unconventional super-hero book that doesn't try too hard, it simply works.

Criminal #3

Tracy Morgan is a firm believer that "The Power is in The Pussy" and the main character of the last stand alone issue of the second volume, who we've seen before, apparently agrees. We alreayd know her fate, but that in no way takes away from this story which works even if you haven't read issue #1. The story moves along pretty fast yet the reader still has time to connect to the character in a significant way due in part to excellent writing of brutally honest internal dialogue which you don't get in books from other imprints. In fact, the fact that things move so fast helps since it matches how quickly downhill things went for the character. Aside from one corny line of dialogue , "Just let me put the head in...", Brubaker's writing was spot on as usual. Criminal is probably my favorite book to read each month, and I can't wait for the start of the next multiple part arc.

The Invincible Iron-Man #2

After seeing so much of him in other books and events I have been wanting to read an Iron-Man book for some time, but never felt like getting caught up on Iron-Man Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I waited and waited and then like a gift from God came an all new Iron-Man book by one of my favorite writers right now Iron Fist's Matt Fraction. With the other Iron-Man book getting a new creative team this is the only one I'm interested in anymore after only two issues. Fraction writes the hell out of it and the art is ridiculous. After only two issues this book has already moved up near the top of my ranks for mainstream super-hero books. Don't hesitate start reading this series RIGHT NOW.

Kick-Ass # 3

You can't argue with a book written by Millar and drawn by JRJR. Instead of reading this book as a "real-life" super hero book, which is how I often hear it talked about, I just sit back and enjoy it. Dave, the story's main character, is a likable character and Millar's writing is usually pretty humorous which helps because this character could easily be pretty annoying if not written right. The end of this issue is absolutely insane and I feel like it wouldn't work if you bought into that "real-life" super hero book stuff. I don't feel like this book is reinventing the wheel, but so far it has been entertaining so check it out.

I have to go so I'm not writing a review of Dark Tower #4, but of course it was great.

Career Suicide show tonight at Disgraceland.

Bye bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omega #7 wasn't in my box, so when I went to clear it all out and got it home I found #8 and had no idea what was going on. I went back and #9 had come in but still no #7. Dude told me this week it would definitely be in. Also, how great is it that Atomic City is upping the subscription discount to %20?

-Chris