8/28/08

BIG WEEK

Short reviews this week since I'm busy getting ready to start working next week, and simply because it was a big week.

DMZ #34

I don't really care about this book anymore. Wood writes the book well, but neither the characters nor the overall situation of the DMZ interest me anymore. Perhaps I am just sick of hearing about politics from everywhere else that I don't want to read about it in my comics. Honestly I'm not sure exactly what it is, but this book no longer moves me. Although, it does seem that the book is about to go in a new direction so maybe I will check out the trades eventually.

Runaways #1

Ramos' art style has never been my cup of tea, but it doesn't bother me here as much as it did on New X-Men. I will never care for the cartoon/anime/manga/etc art but it doesn't detract from the story. Actually I like how he makes Chases look noticeably bigger than the other characters, and Molly and Klara look good too [that sounds bad].

Terry Moore does a good job with all the characters and stays true to what came before him, and even seems to be using an old plot-line as the center of his story arc. Only complaint is that one of Moore's big cultural references seems a bit out of place even for an older member like Chase. Solid first issue. Glad to have Runaways back, let's hope it stays around for a while.

Superman #679

Another solid issue from Robinson and Guedes, but I hope in time his Clark Kent/Superman gets better. As I said last month Superman does not have to be in the spotlight at all times in his book, but right now Robinson has made him a bit too dull for my liking. The supporting cast is great here again, and I like that even more people are getting added to the regular roster. Hopefully the writing of the title character gets better once the big cross-over starts. Also, the last page is great to me, but I understand why some people will hate it. The art here is great too especially in the big fight scenes. 

Kick-Ass #4

Every pull list needs a book like Kick-Ass. With all this nonsense of a Crisis and an Invasion, everyone should treat themselves to some continuity-free fun and violence. And of course fun and violence is that much better when it is drawn by John Romita Jr. If Millar were writing this as well as JRJR is drawing it Kick-Ass would far and away be the best comic book out there. That being said, I like the writing in each individual issue I just think that after four of them the book's main character should be doing more than constantly teetering on the edge of being a regular kid or a "super hero." At this point I am more interested in Hit-Girl, Dave's father, and basically everyone else in the book that isn't the main character. Hopefully these characters' development doesn't stall like Dave's has.

Daredevil #110

As I said in my last review I was afraid that this arc would wrap up too fast and too neatly in this issue, and I was right. I guess Brubaker wanted a nice clean slate before starting his Lady Bullseye storyline which is supposed to be a big jumping on point for new readers. Regardless of the fact that I felt kind of short changed by the ending, still an awesome issue. The art is simply amazing, and so is the writing. Hopefully Brubaker's writing stays at this level now that Rucka is departing. 

The Immortal Iron-Fist #18

I really don't like the art in this book. Granted I'm no art expert, but to me this art just does not look good and some of the panel layout choices seem odd particularly in Danny's first fight sequence. Art aside Swierczynski is doing a great job on this title, and if you decided to drop this when Fraction left you should quickly jump back on board.

No comments: