8/12/08

Changing of the guard?

Obviously the San Diego Comic Con is not a competition, but if you ask anybody who came out the winner they will most likely understand what you mean and answer DC Comics. Of course Marvel is still dominating the market-share, but perhaps DC is closer to evening the score than many people myself included would have thought. 

Okay, maybe I am reaching there, but I can speak to my own personal thoughts and feelings and personally I am definitely more excited about DC than Marvel these days. This would not be very note-worthy if I had been reading DC Comics for a long time, but up until recently I was reading almost strictly Marvel. Throughout the aforementioned Con I kept waiting for some exciting news to come out of the Marvel camp, but it just did not happen. Of course Marvel did have some big news, but none of it mattered to me since the big stuff revolved around Stephen King, the Ultimate Universe, and War of Kings. I am sure a lot of people are excited over these three, but based on conversations I have had and things I have read I was certainly not the only person who felt like Marvel was light on big announcements this year. The lack of more announcements might have had a lot to do with the fact that Marvel has to be tight-lipped until after Secret Invasion is over, but since I am not enjoying Secret Invasion I doubt I would have been excited over Post-SI spin-offs and changes. On top of having nothing exciting in the pipeline and a major event that has fallen on its face after starting off strong many of my favorite Marvel titles have recently taken a step back in quality due to a change of creative teams; Astonishing X-Men, Immortal Iron-Fist, and Thunderbolts. Meanwhile, DC has me dying to get my hands on all their recently announced Post-RIP books, the upcoming Superman cross-over, Green Lantern Blackest Night, and Flash Rebirth. Do not think I am saying that Marvel has stopped publishing books I enjoy, but rather that my enjoyment of comics put out by the big two is starting to become more even and in upcoming months will actually favor DC.

Based on IGN's recently released Most Wanted List and the general vibe I get from some other comics sites and boards I think perhaps my original comment about DC finally starting to even the score might not be so off-base. Only time will tell, but in the meantime I will sit back and enjoy all the wonderful books that both publishers are putting out right now. At the end of the day, closer competition between the big two will most likely mean better quality books for us.

No comments: