5/18/08

Records you should check out and a show review

I'm not going to waste my time making comparisons to other bands or trying to describe what a band sounds like at least not for now because I'm tired.

Sex/Vid - Nests 7" - This is my favorite release from this Seattle band which is probably an unpopular opinion considering how many people love Tania the bands' second 7". All three songs on this new one are awesome, but Exorcism is by far the best track. Definitely give this record a few listens before you try to sell it on ebay. They are coming to Philly this summer hopefully I can get off work for it.

Inmates - Now We Talkin Hardcore! 7" - Nothing new pretty much what you expect from the Inmates but that is in no way a bad thing. Sitting here listening to this again just makes me mad I missed the band down in Texas this past weekend because their live shows are always fucking ridiculous. Check out the very fancy Even Worse site to order http://www.geocities.com/evenworserecords/index1.htm

Human Mess - Uncaged Animal 7" - Another awesome CA band featuring members of Loser Life and probably some other Bakersfield bands. The singer has a cool blog you should check out http://hulksmusiccorner.blogspot.com/. I don't know why the insert only had lyrics for one of the songs so that kind of sucked but the record is certainly worth checking out. No Way Records put this out and is apparently putting out an LP from these guys too so look out for that hopefully it has a full lyrics sheet.

The Darvocets - ...Are New Wave 12" - Good luck getting a copy of this only 500 were pressed and I'm pretty sure they are already all spoken for. Get the MP3s from somebody though because the record is awesome. The first song John Titor is my favorite and do yourself a favor and google that name in case you are an uninformed loser. All the other songs are nearly as weird and awesome so find an old VHS copy of Fire in the Sky and listen to this record. Hopefully I get to see them in person again soon last time involved fireworks, couches being destroyed, and a Christmas tree getting thrown at people.

Crime Desire - ST 12" - Before getting this record I had listened to the Nadir 7" single about a million times so needless to say I was very excited to get my hands and ears on the rest of the record. It certainly did not disappoint although it is in some ways quite different than the In Lucifer's Grip 7" which is also fucking incredible. Your Predition is probably the only track I'm not really into. A lot of the songs are a bit slower than the songs on the previous 7" but they are still hard hitting. Besides Confront Them most of the songs clock in at close to or over the three minute mark. Sadly Crime Desire are another band from far away that I probably won't get to see again anytime soon.

Loser Life - My Hell 12" - Easily the band's best release as of yet. The full length that came out last year was good, but this is an improvement. Great music and great lyrics. The band is able to write about girls without coming off as corny which takes talent. Also the cover of the record is a naked old couple how can you not love that?

Other recent releases to check out:
Dangerloves - Easy 7"
Deep Sleep - Manic Euphoria 7"
Pink Reason - Borrowed Time b/w Scared Shitless 7"
Repercussions - No Peace 7"
Waco Fuck - Paranoia Is Total Awareness 12"

SHOW REVIEW - Fucked Up @ the First Unitarian Church with Hardskin, Invasion, and Retard Strength.

This was a matinée show so I expected a pretty small crowd and I was right. Retard Strength opened up the show and were pretty cool especially their black metal looking bass player. Invasion are a D-beat band from Spain who just released an LP which apparently is better than their live output which wasn't bad just not really my style. Hardskin sucked. Nothing about that band is funny or entertaining, sorry. Fucked Up's set was good enough I guess. The new song was kind of lame but I'm sure if the new LP ever comes out it will be awesome. The crowd was fucking horrible though. Some terrible crust punk girl tried to fight me for moshing into her and the rest of the crowd was about 16 years old. On the whole the show kind of sucked. Oh well.

No comments: